Why I Love/Hate India v. Pakistan
by Devanshu Mehta
- Jingoism masked as patriotism.
- Religious hatred masked as sporting rivalry.
- Patriotism masked as a love of sport.
- The poisonous “Zaheer Khan miyo chhe etle full toss naakhyo” (translated: “Zaheer Khan is Muslim, that’s why he bowled a full toss.”) I wonder if they say the same about Kaneria on the other side.
- If they win, Kashmir.
- If they lose, allege match-fixing, commence stone-throwing, effigy-burning.
In short, it’s just not cricket.
- Javed Miandad’s last ball six off Chetan Sharma.
- Anil Kumble’s 10 wickets in an innings.
- Aamer Sohail bowled Venkatesh Prasad.
- Ajay Jadeja’s quick-fire 45.
- A 19 year-old Tendulkar and 33 year-old Kapil Dev on fire in Sydney.
- Aaqib Javed’s hat-trick of LBWs.
Ok, strike that last one. I hate that.
[…] Tunbridge Wells cricket ground has a mythical quality? Hint: The answers to these questions had a batting partnership mentioned in this blog post. […]
[…] Why I Love/Hate India v. Pakistan […]