I’m Devanshu Mehta, and welcome to my blog about cricket. [email] [facebook] [twitter]
Who am I?
As a kid growing up in Chicago, my first experience with cricket was when my father and his friends would get together to play on Sundays. There would be elaborate suiting-up and a little play, and then we’d all go out for Indian food.
That was before Gavaskar came to town. The first cricket match I ever saw was an exhibition match between the visiting Indian team and a local team outside Chicago in the early ’80s. My father instilled in me a sense of awe about Gavaskar. And then we got to meet him. Within 24 hours I had gone from never hearing his name to having discovered a new hero.
And then my family moved to India. And cricket became my first love. This was the era of Gavaskar’s wide-brimmed hat, Vengsarkar at Lords, mustache-chewing Kris, and India coming off a World Cup winning high.
Yes, but that doesn’t tell me if I’ll like your blog
Ok. Read what I’ve written.
Here are the posts I am most proud of:
- I Write Songs About Test Matches:
- A 70-second song about The Lord’s Test, July 2011
- A 2-minute song about The Trent Bridge Test, July 2011
- The Day I Was Dhoni
- We’re Arrogant
- How Lalit Modi and the BCCI (Almost) Killed Willow TV
- The History of One Day Cricket: Part I
Here are my cricket quirks:
- Cricket was my first mathematics teacher: keeping a running count of the required run-rate was enough to get me through about 8th grade.
- Which brings me to statistics. I love cricket statistics.
- I read old scorecards and player statistics as if they were great works of fiction. I love how a scorecard tells a story, how I can picture what happened. There’s no footage of Kapil at Tunbridge Wells, but anyone who has seen that scorecard can see that innings in their mind’s eye.
What will I blog about?
My hope is to provide context on players, teams and quirks of history through statistics and historical perspective. I’m not an expert player or analyst. What I am is tenacious.
Good !! Amazing little cricketer.
[…] About […]
You’ve cracked the Willow TV case? Please do tell all. Email me at samirchopra1 AT Yahoo DOT com. ?
The full story on Willow.
Great blog, I’ve just spent a good 2 hours sifting through old posts. Am I ok to link to it on mine?
Of course. Nice blog yourself.
Devanshu, I’m hosting a Cricket Blogger Survey. 20 questions to collect views on current practice and future prospects of cricket blogging. I hope you will be able to take part. Thanks, Chris
The cricket blogger survey | Declaration Game cricket blog