#ShankarFacts: The Secret Life of Adrian Shankar
by Devanshu Mehta
A couple of days ago, I began a new Twitter hashtag, #ShankarFacts, to record the mythical, wondrous life of Adrian Shankar.
Who is Adrian Shankar, you ask? He’s a crafty young man who fooled two English counties about his age and background to get in to their teams.
- Adrian Shankar has batted at all eleven positions. In the same match.
- Adrian Shankar said WG Grace was the best batsman he ever played with.
- When Adrian Shankar bowls off spin, he has a doosra (2nd), teesra (3rd) and a unteesva (29th).
- Adrian Shankar fixes matches. He takes money to win.
- Sachin Tendulkar won the World Cup for Adrian Shankar. #forAdrian
- Whichever end Adrian Shankar bowls from is called the Adrian Shankar End.
- When Adrian Shankar bowls leg spin, he has an altavisty and a yahooey, in addition to his googley.
- Adrian Shankar once hit 8 sixes in an over.
- Adrian Shankar was the first wicketkeeper-bowler to captain a side.
- When Adrian Shankar hits the ball, it stays hit. #LikeATracerBullet
- Adrian Shankar’s wicket is equivalent to a collapse.
Various rumours kept coming back that he was actually three years older than he stated. [He said] straight to my face without a shadow of doubt, was that he had been on a life support machine for the first three years of his life and was therefore physically three years younger than he should be. I challenged him on this and said that surely he grew during the three years on the life support machine. His simply replied ‘No I didn’t’ and walked off.